Thursday, September 25, 2014

PlEaSuRaBlE tImE sPeNT wItH gRaDe oNe StUdEnTs :)

There’s no discounting the importance of the first day of class. What happens that day sets the tone for the rest of the class…
Today I had visited class one. It was my first time experiencing with a first grade students. They were so innocent. I was an actress in front of them. I made my face in any shape to put them in the picture and narrate a story.
I have been teaching for so long but I never visited the class of a small children. It was a pleasure to be with them. Actually, I was substituting one of my colleagues, who are on leave, to celebrate THRUE. I went to the class, students greeted me. I didn’t know what to do. I remembered quick and easy activity for small kids, which my first grade teacher, Maam Chimmi usually asked us to do, long ago in 1997.
I asked them to draw the outline of their hand on one section of the paper and on another section of paper I asked them to draw the outline of their friend’s hand. After that I asked them to shade the hand with brown color and nails with white. That was my instruction. I had provided them with a paper each.
I told them that, ‘Those who will finish first will get a big star’ (Ga heyma chami di lu Karma bom jinii mey). I inspired them. So, after five minutes a student from a corner came in the front, with his paper.
Chaiboo.( ‘Did you finish?’) I asked.
‘Chaila madam,’ his meek voice travelled to my ear
s.’  ‘KaLey tagey’, (let me see.)
The below is the diagram of the hand he drew.


Outline of the hands drawn by one of the stds.
I was surprised; I didn’t tell you to paint your nails with black colour!
Your work is incorrect! With his innocents eyes directed on my face and he told me, ‘Madam la kho gi shimo dirty dhula’(dirty nails).That is the reason why he painted black. I giggled and again he had requested me to give him a BIG KARMA (Big Star)!!
:P I was reminded they are a small kid. J So, I didn’t pause to give a big Karma(star).
They also notified me that I write the opposite “F”.
 “Madam gi ‘aff’ deee misey bey la… :P “
My style of writing 'F' which lil kids called as a F in reversed form :P
Haha I thoroughly enjoyed being with small kids. I have to thank my primary teachers for education me how to add the letters and from a word and words to a sentence. Primary teachers are a real teacher. They are knowledgeable, patient, enthusiastic and kind.  They manage all this in the face of students who often don't want to be taught.  
Thank you my primary teachers.

You all are always rememberedJ       

Pleasant evening ahead dear reader’s J

No comments: